Students can enroll into two basic kinds of higher education:
- polytechnic schools (veleučilište), higher level education
- universities (sveučilište), highest level education
The distinction between the programs taught at universities and polytechnics used to be the length of studies and the final classification of the students – but this line is being blurred by the implementation of the Bologna process. Previously, the veleučilište approximately matched the German concept of “Fachhochschule”.
Since the Bologna process, the levels of expertise are:
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts (prvostupnik)
- Master of Science and Master of Arts (magistar)
- Doctor of Science and Doctor of Arts (doktor)