Registering in the country

Residence Permit

EU citizens and citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland must register their right to reside in Finland at a police department, if their stay lasts for longer than three months. Citizens of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland) are registered at a Register Office. If you come from a non-EU country you must apply for residence permit in your home country to Finnish diplomatic missions.

There are certain preparations you must do before and after you arrive to Finland. Information might be different for EU and non-EU citizens. Please check from the links about necessary documents.


Here is a check list of things you have to do:

  • If you are non-EU/EEA citizen obtain your visa/residence permit in your home country. If you are EU/EEA citizen and want to stay in Finland more than three months, you need to apply for a residence permit from the local police.
  • If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen you don`t need to visit the police office but you need to register to the local population services. Once you register yourself to the population services, you will be sent your Finnish social security number in a few days. Please keep it safe, because this number will be needed for your all official work.
  • If you are working, you need to get a tax deduction card. You can order it by phone, from the web page or just visiting the local Inland Revenue Office.
  • If you have permanent residence permit, you can visit KELA (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland) to learn what kind of benefits you may get.
  • If you are looking for a job and you are living permanently in Finland, making a registration to local Employment and Economic Development Office is advisable.
  • Regardless of your legal status in Finland, you can always visit local youth information services to obtain more information.
  • You may need some permits in Finland, for example for driving. The regulations might be different in your home country. It may be a good idea to visit the website of the police or local police office to ask for special permits you may need.


Updated: 5.12.2012
Source: Finnish Immigration Services